But before we start all that, please note: if you recently bought a pdf for one of my patterns online, then that pattern will already include all changes indicated on this page.
Another little note: Regardless of the format (pdf or print), if you think you've found an error that is not listed below, please contact me about it.
But wait, there's more. I have notes about reading charts, chart and symbol problems from original versions of older patterns, version numbers, reformatting, all sort of stuff. You'll find it below The list. Just scroll down. For a while. You'll find it.
The listThe following patterns have errata or bits that knitters have found confusing. If a pattern is not listed below, there is no errata for it. If you believe you have found an error in a pattern that is not listed here, please contact me. As from the beginning of my design career, if you recently purchased a pattern that has errata, then everything (that I know of) will be fixed in that pattern… unless you got hold of an old printed copy. If you bought the pattern a while ago, check for pdf updates where you bought the pattern to get the most current version. If you bought a printed pattern anywhere, and your issue isn't below, or you're otherwise confused about anything, please let me know. I will do what I can to help.
October 7, 2010. There’s a small error in the written instructions, and it’s repeated in three sections: Widening, The Straightaway, Narrowing. Chart D, row 6, of these sections should read: K5, p2.
October 19, 2010. These are mostly quite minor. Mostly.
- Widening, one stitch marker to be placed on each side of chart C.
- The Straightaway, the note box should begin, “Not all sts are shown…”
- At the end of Finish up the Pears, there will be 27 full pears completed, and 22 sts on needle, of which 3 are for chart C.
- The note in The Final Point should read: “Charts A and C have no sts after row 26; they merge into chart B.”
- Widening and The Straightaway should both end with 57 sts, 33 of which are for chart C.
Narrowing should end with 31 sts, 7 of which are for chart C.
- When knitting, I frequently get my lefts and rights reversed. Frequently. Which is the left side of the sweater vs. which is the right side of the sweater is always the same, but the perception of it changes depending on what piece you're working on, and whether the thing is worked bottom up or top down. Setting the markers for this design is a case in point. I thought I had them right, but perhaps not. I solved that little problem by removing the words "left" and "right" from the paragraph telling where to put the markers. The left and right are identical at that point, so it doesn't matter which one is what one, or what one is who.
- A lot of eyes have been on this pattern: multiple tech editors', test knitters', and mine. At first I had all the instructions for the raglan increases for all sizes in a single paragraph. While that's fine if you're only writing out one size, it became immensely confusing when six separate sizes, increasing at different rates from each other, are all together that way, so I broke out how to do the increases vs. non-increases into a little table, and I broke out when to do them into bullet points for each section of the sweater. When I did this last bit, I somehow missed moving the first bit, Left neck edge, into its own bullet point, leaving it, confusingly, in the middle of the paragraph. I've broken that out now, too. The fixed bits read as follows, from Page 2, far right column, end of top paragraph now reads, "…m1L, k1 (right neck). Cont working incs at the following rates:" and the first bullet after that is the instructions for the Left neck edge.
June 11, 2019. In the "How to Increase" box on page 2, "no increase rows" for the sleeves and back should end like this: knit to 5 sts before next marker, ssk, k1, yo, k2, sm.
- row 8: S1, BO 6 sts, p4.
- row 9: (YO twice, k2tog) twice, k1.
- and the following need to be broken out:
—rows 10 – 16. Repeat rows 2 – 8.
—rows 17 – 24. Repeat rows 9 – 16.
—rows 25 – 30. Repeat rows 9 – 14.
- page 2 needs these corrections:
—row 5: k4, (yo twice, k2tog) twice, k1.
—row 6: should end with a p4.
—row 34: should end with a p4.
- page 3: rows 6, 8, 10, and 12 should all end with purl stitches instead of knit stitches.
- page 4: rows 6, 8, 10, 12, and 22 should all end with purl stitches instead of knit stitches.
- page 5: rows 6 and 8 should end with a p4.
- page 5, Leaf:
—9-16. Repeat rows 1-8.
—17-18. Repeat rows 1-2.
—19. (K2tog, yo twice) twice, k2tog, k1.
—20. S1, (p2, k1) twice, p1.
—21. K2tog, k1, (yo twice, k2tog) twice, k1.
—22. S1, (p2, k1) twice, p2.
—24. S1, BO 6 sts, p2.
- Page 5, Right Edge. The first paragraph and the setup row are fine. The last paragraph is also fine. Delete everything between "Repeat the following 2 rows" through the instructions for the WS row. Replace all that stuff with this:
RS and WS rows are worked the same. Repeat the following row until all edge stitches have been used at the end of the last WS row, but 4 sts remain unused (last 4 of the 5 held at end of trefoils) at the end of the final RS row. All rows: S1, knit to 1 st before gap, k2tog, k3. Turn. Note: Transfer held sts from end of trefoil border onto needle as they are reached.
- The row gauge should read 30 rows/4 inches (10 cm).
- Corner chart 1 should be Corner chart 2, and Corner chart 2 should be corner chart 1.
- There is no longer room in the pattern for written stitch instructions, so I removed them. Once I fixed Corner 1, writing it all out was beyond me. It would have taken up the entire page. If you rely on written instructions, my humble apologies.
- Sleeve cap for cuff up sleeves. Rows from hem to armhole should read: 68, 72, 76, 78 [82, 86, 90, 94]
- Neckline. After stitches have been picked up around the edge, the stitch counts are correct. The next paragraph should be replaced with this: Work lace pattern around neckline as follows for all 17 rows: k4, Corner one (charts A, B, and C), Main leaf st (charts B and C) 2, 2, 2, 2 [2, 2, 3, 3] times (left front), Corner two, Main leaf st (charts B and C) 3, 3, 3, 3 [4, 4, 4, 4] times (back neck), Corner two, Main leaf st (charts B and C) 2, 2, 2, 2 [2, 2, 3, 3] times (right front), Corner 1 (charts B and D), k4. 119, 119, 119, 119 [129, 129, 149, 149] sts.
- Body schematic. Distance from lower border to armhole is the same for every size: 8.5 inches; 21.5 cm
- Body schematic. Distance from hem to shoulder should read: 17.5, 17.75, 17.75, 18 [18.5, 19.25, 19.75, 20.25] inches; 44.5, 45, 45, 45.5 [47, 49, 50, 51.5] cm
November 2, 2017. I am agog. I know that this pattern has been knit multiple times since it first came out, back in 2013, but I just found out about an error that's been there from the very start. Four little knit stitches are missing near the beginning of the pattern. Page 2, Cast on and work border, first bullet, RS rows. Insert a K4 between the second "pm" and "chart A," like this: ... pm, k4, chart A, chart B...
- Taper off, line 8, should begin with s1 pw wyif, like all other WS rows.
- Continue decreasing, instructions, should tell you to work all 32 rows once.
- Decrease to the point, instructions, should tell you to work all 21 rows once.
- Thistle Part 1, row 27, section C should read: k3, yo, k1, yo, k2, k2tog, k1-yo-k1 in same st, k2
- Thistle Part 2, row 3, section C should read: k2, yo, k5, k1-yo-k1 in the same st, k2
- Thistle Part 2, row 5, section A should read: K2, k1-yo-k1 in same st, k2, ssk,
- Thistle Part 2, row 47, section C should read: yo, k1, k1-yo-k1 in same st, k2
October 16, 2007. Corrected decreases for fitted cuff.
January 24, 2008. Fixed missing symbol in first chart.
- Large stars
- 1. K2, yo, k2tog, (k1, yo, ssk, k5, k2tog, yo, k2)...
- 17. The very end of the line... 3 times, ssk, yo, k2.
- Tiny stars
- 3. K2, yo, k2tog, (yo, s2-k1-p2sso, yo, k1) twice…
- 5. K2, yo, k3tog, yo, k1…
- 1. Approaching the end of the line, there is an extra YO in the original instructions between the “s2-k1-p2sso” and the “(... s2-k1-p2sso, (yo, ssk) 3 times, yo, k2tog.”
- 3. Same thing here, plus a couple more things, get the change in the number of repeats, add a yo before the bead... s2-k1-p2sso, (yo, ssk) twice, yo, bead, yo, k2tog.
April 2, 2012. Even rows in the written stitch instructions on pages 2 and 3 should read: “K2, purl to 2 sts before end, k2.” The charted stitch instructions are fine.
April 24, 2012. Page 4, Option 1, third sentence should start, “Cable cast on 2 sts, k2…”
February 12, 2008. Fixed references to charts A and B on pages 8 and 9. There is only 1 chart on each of those pages.
May 5, 2008. A small chart error was found by Alexandra. If you purchased the pdf on Ravelry, you should be able to download the new copy. If you have trouble with this or purchased the pattern elsewhere, send me your email address, and I’ll send that page to you. The error is on the Lacy Lattice chart on page 4. Line 7 should read (the bold part is the change): (K2, yo) twice, s1, k2tog, psso, yo, k3, yo, s1, k2tog, psso; repeat from until 11 sts remain, then: yo, k3, yo, ssk, yo, k4, yo, K1, ssk with shawl edge.
July 18, 2011. Correcting a remaining artifact from when the pattern was nine pages long. Last page, Fancy Leaf Edging, Corner and Beyond, there are three spots that need fixing:
- First paragraph should begin: “Attach row 24 of above chart…”
- The second to the last paragraph, first part of the sentence should read, “...rows 9 through 30 of the Right of Center chart...”
- The second to the last paragraph, second part of the first sentence should read, "knit the 30-row Right of Center chart 8 times…"
The second part is an error correction. Lines 2 and 3 of the gusset setup row should be as follows. Corrections are bold.
PU and K13 [K16] along edge, PM.
PU and K3 [K0] along edge, K1 [K5]...
- The chart from the heel flap is missing a diagonal line. On the first line, about midway through, there’s a space that’s two stitches wide. That needs to have a diagonal line in it going from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. It should match the key just below it.
- Immediately under the chart for the heel flap there’s a line that says, “End by working row 1 one more time.” Delete that line. Don’t knit it, either. When you finish knitting the chart repeats above, you’re ready to begin turning the heel.
- Page 2, center column, first paragraph. Work next RS row as follows: k1, Hem lace (insert number of times here) times, k2 becomes: Beg with next RS row, work all 28 rows of Hem lace once as follows: k1, lace panel (insert number of times here) times, k2... Switch to Main lace, then work all 28 rows as est...
- Page 3, center column, second paragraph under Increase to Armhole. Because of spacing issues, the second paragraph is now pushed up, making the first paragraph extra long. As with the body portion: Work next RS row as follows: k1, Hem lace (insert number of times here) times, k2. Work as est in Main lace for the rest of the sleeve becomes: Beg with next RS row, work all 28 rows of Hem lace once as follows: k1, lace panel (insert number of times here) times, k2... Switch to Main lace for the rest of the sleeve..
If you don't want to download the thing again for one word, or if you purchased a printed copy, you can find the erroneous "purl" in the second paragraph under Back, Waist: knit to marker, sm, m1R, knit to marker, m1L, sm, knit to end.
June 21, 2017. Working the Right Front, paragraph 3, the pattern says, "Work seam side in st st, and band edge in Left main..." This should say, "... band edge in Right main..." Oops.
July 6, 2010. Pattern instructions should read: Work pattern stitch rows 1 to 18 ten times…
Errors to The Sanguine Gryphon versionThe Sanguine Gryphon has emailed the updated pattern pdf to people who purchased Lalique before May 16, 2011. If you purchased a printed pattern, or have not received your updated pdf, please contact the Sanguine Gryphon for a replacement. All errors should be corrected in the revised pattern, except the following:
July 16, 2011. There is an error to the chart key for the "V" symbol affecting the Edging Stitch chart. There should actually be an additional symbol meaning, "slip stitch as if to purl, holding yarn in back." The original instruction for this symbol, "slip stitch as if to purl, holding yarn in front," works for the neckline.
Errors to the Fiber Dreams versionMay 4, 2012. Page 2, Gauge Swatch: the correct number of stitches to cast on for the swatch is 55.
ClarificationsThis is not an error, but because of the font used may look like one: the written instructions for the Edging Stitch and the Neckline Stitch both use a symbol, "sl" meaning "slip." So, in the pattern where it says "sl1" it means "s1" or slip 1 stitch.
All provisional cast ons should be worked with a smooth waste yarn.
The edging and neckline are applied borders, and so are worked at a 90° angle to the rest of the knitting.
P.S. To those of you who have purchased kits directly from Teresa Ruch Designs, the above does not apply.
- Right from the start the cast on for second largest size is wrong. That size should read: CO 73 sts, pm, CO 135 sts, pm, CO 73 sts. 281 sts.
- Number of sts on the back after armhole shaping should be 69, 73, 77, 83 [87, 91, 95, 99] sts. (Yes, every size is wrong, because I grabbed the wrong line out of my spreadsheet.)
- Back neck and shoulders, first paragraph should read: Next RS row BO… (this part is correct), and then p12, 12, 13, 14 [14, 15, 16, 16]… (this part is correct), purl to end. 16, 16, 17, 18 [18, 19, 20, 20] sts rem for right shoulder, and 23, 24, 25, 26 [27, 28, 29, 30] sts rem for left shoulder.
January 8, 2018. A few little things that are remnants from when this was tech edited back in 2013. Sigh.
- There are no yarn overs in the pattern, so that's been removed from the required skills list.
- It's now clear that front neckline shaping all takes place on RS rows.
- All the markers were removed as part of editing, but the references to them are now also gone from the pattern.
If you're still having trouble getting your head around this send me email. I have something that will hopefully help. It's helped other people. I will probably ask you something to prove that you already have the pattern. You'll need to have the pattern in front of you to answer the question. ;-)
- Page 2. Both chart and written stitch instructions, row 5 should read: S1, k1, kfb, k3.
- Page 3. Work all 12 rows Main lace 17 [21, 25, 29] times…
- Page 4. Once the border is all done, this many sts are on the needle: 205 [245, 285, 325].
- First paragraph. The next row is a RS row.
- Second paragraph. Most of this is a single sentence, which should read: Repeat the following until there are zero sts remaining un-worked at the end of the RS, and 4 sts remaining un- worked at the end of the WS
March 19, 2014. This time a *chart* is the culprit. Sigh. Page 3, line 17, about 1/3 of the way across there are two "\" in a row. That should read "\O" instead. The written stitch instructions are fine.
March 27, 2014. Again with page 3. This time the written stitch instructions for lines 3 and 7 are faulty, but the chart is correct. Line 3 should read: S1, k1, yo, k2tog, 3/3LC, k1, yo twice, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k2, yo, k2. Line 7 should read: S1, k1, yo, k2tog, k7, yo, k1, (yo, k2tog) twice, k1, yo, ssk, k1, yo, k2.
April 14, 2014. I had my TE go over everything again, with special emphasis on the written stitch instructions matching the charts. She found one more thing. With luck, this is the end of it. Fingers crossed. Page 5, row 19 should read: S1, k1, yo, k2tog, k6, ssk, yo, k2, yo, k2tog, k1, yo, k2.
August 6, 2010. Sometimes I think that looking at a pattern hundreds of times can be detrimental. It certainly was in this case. A part of the chart on pages 3, 4, and 5, which was originally included was dropped, and I never saw it (and I wasn’t the only one). Because of the timing, the written instructions for that part are also missing. If knit by the spirit of the thing, rather than the letter of it, you shouldn’t have any trouble at all with the way the pattern was originally published. I know it’s been knit without problem. However, if you need to follow the letter of the thing, and who could blame you, then please download the corrected pages. If you purchased your pattern at Patternfish, as of this date the download is correct. If you purchased it before this date, please go get the updated file. Naturally I did this with a popular pattern. Of course. How could it be otherwise? Please accept my humble apologies.
October 8, 2010. An artifact left over from changing around how the written stitch instructions were laid out. On page 2, the written instructions for charts A and B, line 9 should start: K2, yo, knit to marker, sm, k1…
March 4, 2011. That I copied and pasted the written instructions from one section to another is obvious with this recent catch by Debbie. The Leaf chart, row 9, in the Widening, Straightaway, Narrowing, and Final Point sections should read as follows, where the bit in bold is the correction: K2, yo, ssk, k7, k2tog, yo, k1.
April 20, 2011. Page 6, written instructions for charts A through C, line 3 should begin: Knit to marker, sm, k2, yo...
July 18, 2011.Page 2, Starting, Chart B, row 10, and corresponding section of the written instructions. This section of the row should have 12 sts: … sm, k1, p9, k2, sm… Also, the written instructions on pages 3, 4, and 5 for Border 1, row 7 should read: K3tog, yo twice, ssk.
September 14, 2011. The following lines in the written instructions should all read: K1, bind off 3 sts, k3.
- Page 2, Starting, Border, row 8.
- Page 3, Widening, Border 1, row 2, and Border 2, row 4.
- Page 4, The Straightaway, row 2, and Border 2, row 4.
- Page 5, Narrowing, row 2, and Border 2, row 4.
- Page 6, The Final Point, Border, row 4.
February 24, 2014. Corrections for the updated pattern. My TE and I missed the following (sigh). Changes to be made to both charts and written stitch instructions.
- Starting, row 3 should read: K5, (yo, k1) twice, sm, k7.
- Starting, row 4 should read: BO 3, k3, p6, k3.
- The Final Point, row 17 should read: K2, yo, ssk, (s1-k2tog-psso, yo) twice, k2tog twice, yo twice, ssk.
- Starting, rows 1 through 5 should include where to slip markers on either side of the leaf.
- Widening, row 11 should read: … k3, yo, ssk, k5, sm, k2tog, yo, k2, sm…
- Straightaway, row 9 should begin: Knit to marker, sm, k2,, yo…
- Narrowing, row 11 should read: … sm, k3, yo, ssk, k5, k2tog, yo, k2, sm...
- Final point, instructions say to remove all stitch markers, then to slip them between charts. Huh. Just take them out, then work the sections of the charts as follows: Edge, Leaf, Border.
- Final point, chart row 11, Leaf, should begin k1, , ssk, yo, ssk...
- Final point, chart row 12, Leaf and Edge, should be: k2, p7, k8.
- Final point, row 2 should read: K1, 2-into-5, k4, p5, k12.
- Final point, even rows 4 through 12 should end by knitting to the end, and so from the far side of the leaf to the end by knitting this many stitches, respectively: 11, 9, 8, 8, 8.
- Final point, row 11 should begin: K6, ssk, yo, ssk…
- The model is the second largest size, not the largest
- Page 3, work Main repeat 9 [10, 9, 10] times…
- Yardage requirements: 575 [925, 1100, 1475]
- Gauge: 21 sts and 27 rows to 4 inches (10 cm)
- Finished sizes
- inches: 13.25 x 63 [18.5 x 69, 23.75 x 63, 29.25 x 69]
- cm: 33.5 x 160 [47 x 175.5, 60.5 x 160, 74.5 x 175.5]
There are no problems with the Fiber Dreams version of the pattern that I know of. Fingers crossed.
March 20, 2017. It came to my attention that there were errors in this pattern. Some strange things were going on, and I really couldn't imagine that all that would have slipped by not one but the two tech editors that looked the thing over in the first place. Oh. I see. Yes, well, it seems that back in September 2015 when I made those changes to the pattern, I shouldn't have. All the oddities are magically fixed if you go back to version 1.0 of the pattern. If you have v1.1, then see above, and undo those changes, and everything should be fine. If you have v1.0, then you're good as gold. Gads. Sincere apologies for any confusion I may have caused you.