Chart rows are always worked from bottom to top. Unless pattern is knit in the round, all odd numbered chart rows are worked from right to left, and all even numbered chart rows are worked from left to right—in all of my patterns. If pattern is being knit in the round, then all rows are knit from right to left. If chart has sections, A, B, C, etc., then the order the sections are worked on wrong-side rows is opposite that of right-side rows. In other words, if the instructions say to work charts like this, A once, B 5 times, C once, then wrong-side rows are worked like this: C once, B 5 times, A once.
Chart and symbol problems
In earlier versions of my patterns some Macintosh users had trouble with chart symbols—and occasionally other text—showing up as funny little rectangles, especially on downloads before 2009. This most often happened when the pdf file was opened with the Preview application. Instead, right click on the download link. Select “Save Link As” from the menu to save the file to your hard drive. Open the file with the latest version of Acrobat Reader. This should fix the problem. If not, please let me know.
Originally I didn’t include version numbers on any of my patterns. At some point I found that I really needed to. At the bottom of every page of more recent editions of every pattern there is a two part number. All patterns start out at 1.0. Minor pattern errors and formatting tweaks will increase the number to the right of the decimal, e.g., it will go from v1.0 to v1.1. Major pattern errors and big changes in formatting will make the number to the left of the decimal increase, e.g., change from v1.2 to v2.0. As I go through and add the pattern number to the top of page 1 on all printed patterns the second number will go up by one, resulting in a potential version number of 1.1 for something that has had no pattern errors reported.
The following patterns have errata or bits that knitters have found confusing. If a pattern is not listed below, there is no errata for it. If you believe you have found an error in a pattern that is not listed here, please contact me. As from the beginning of my design career, if you recently purchased a pattern that has errata, then everything (that I know of) will be fixed in that pattern… unless you got hold of an old printed copy. If you bought the pattern a while ago, check for pdf updates where you bought the pattern to get the most current version. If you bought a printed pattern anywhere, and your issue isn’t below, or you’re otherwise confused about anything, please let me know. I will do what I can to help. To reiterate: if you recently bought a pdf online, then that pattern will already include all changes indicated below.
October 7, 2010. There’s a small error in the written instructions, and it’s repeated in three sections: Widening, The Straightaway, Narrowing. Chart D, row 6, of these sections should read: K5, p2.
October 19, 2010. These are mostly quite minor. Mostly.
- Widening, one stitch marker to be placed on each side of chart C.
- The Straightaway, the note box should begin, “Not all sts are shown…”
- At the end of Finish up the Pears, there will be 27 full pears completed, and 22 sts on needle, of which 3 are for chart C.
- The note in The Final Point should read: “Charts A and C have no sts after row 26; they merge into chart B.”
October 25, 2010. A couple more stitch counts are off. I actually forgot to add in the second pear! Egads.
- Widening and The Straightaway should both end with 57 sts, 33 of which are for chart C.
Narrowing should end with 31 sts, 7 of which are for chart C.
November 3, 2011. It seems I still can’t count. At the end of Narrowing there should be 43 stitches on the needle, 7 of which are for chart C.
- row 8: S1, BO 6 sts, p4.
- row 9: (YO twice, k2tog) twice, k1.
- and the following need to be broken out:
—rows 10 – 16. Repeat rows 2 – 8.
—rows 17 – 24. Repeat rows 9 – 16.
—rows 25 – 30. Repeat rows 9 – 14.
January 24, 2012: The written stitch instructions for the Leaf charts seem to be problematic. The following are changes to those charts on the indicated pages (the charts are fine):
- page 2 needs these corrections:
—row 5: k4, (yo twice, k2tog) twice, k1.
—row 6: should end with a p4.
—row 34: should end with a p4.
- page 3: rows 6, 8, 10, and 12 should all end with purl stitches instead of knit stitches.
- page 4: rows 6, 8, 10, 12, and 22 should all end with purl stitches instead of knit stitches.
- page 5: rows 6 and 8 should end with a p4.
January 26, 2012: What with one thing and another, I thought it would be a good idea to have my TE go over these written stitch instructions another time. She found the following. I hope this is the end of it. It should be. Fingers crossed.
- page 5, Leaf:
—9-16. Repeat rows 1-8.
—17-18. Repeat rows 1-2.
—19. (K2tog, yo twice) twice, k2tog, k1.
—20. S1, (p2, k1) twice, p1.
—21. K2tog, k1, (yo twice, k2tog) twice, k1.
—22. S1, (p2, k1) twice, p2.
—24. S1, BO 6 sts, p2.
August 16, 2013: I can’t believe that this is the first I heard of this error, but it is. I would have fixed it ages and ages ago. I also can’t believe that my TE and I didn’t catch it when we did the whole raft of changes more than 1½ years ago. But there you have it. We didn’t see it, and no one told me, so it didn’t get fixed then. It’s fixed now. If you have an old version of this pattern, this is what you do to fix it:
- Page 5, Right Edge. The first paragraph and the setup row are fine. The last paragraph is also fine. Delete everything between “Repeat the following 2 rows” through the instructions for the WS row. Replace all that stuff with this:
RS and WS rows are worked the same. Repeat the following row until all edge stitches have been used at the end of the last WS row, but 4 sts remain unused (last 4 of the 5 held at end of trefoils) at the end of the final RS row.
All rows: S1, knit to 1 st before gap, k2tog, k3. Turn.
Note: Transfer held sts from end of trefoil border onto needle as they are reached.
February 7, 2014, page 5, Right Edge: This is not an error, but more than one person has been confused about this same thing lately, so I thought it best to explain it here. The pattern says to pick up and knit 106 sts along the edge. These are the first 106 edge sts only. Picking up these sts along the edge should put you just past the center point of the shawl. There should be a few less than 106 edge sts remaining to be picked up. The remaining edge stitches will be picked up and knit a few at a time, every other row, as the short rows are worked.
If it would be easier for you to get your brain around, go ahead and pick up and knit ALL of the stitches along the edge, including those held at both ends. To reiterate, grab those provisional sts, pick up one stitch for every slipped stitch along the edge that you worked before, then transfer the held sts at the far end. You’ll have something around 200 sts on the needle (I haven’t done the math for this recently, and don’t have time to look it up). Then knit the 106 sts, k2tog, k3, turn, work the setup row next. From here, work the main shaping repeat until all the stitches are used up from one side, 4 sts are left on the other side, and the rest of the sts are in the middle.
- The row gauge should read 30 rows/4 inches (10 cm).
- Corner chart 1 should be Corner chart 2, and Corner chart 2 should be corner chart 1.
- There is no longer room in the pattern for written stitch instructions, so I removed them. Once I fixed Corner 1, writing it all out was beyond me. It would have taken up the entire page. If you rely on written instructions, my humble apologies.
Additional changes are as follows:
- Sleeve cap for cuff up sleeves. Rows from hem to armhole should read: 68, 72, 76, 78 [82, 86, 90, 94]
- Neckline. After stitches have been picked up around the edge, the stitch counts are correct. The next paragraph should be replaced with this: Work lace pattern around neckline as follows for all 17 rows: k4, Corner one (charts A, B, and C), Main leaf st (charts B and C) 2, 2, 2, 2 [2, 2, 3, 3] times (left front), Corner two, Main leaf st (charts B and C) 3, 3, 3, 3 [4, 4, 4, 4] times (back neck), Corner two, Main leaf st (charts B and C) 2, 2, 2, 2 [2, 2, 3, 3] times (right front), Corner 1 (charts B and D), k4. 119, 119, 119, 119 [129, 129, 149, 149] sts.
- Body schematic. Distance from lower border to armhole is the same for every size: 8.5 inches; 21.5 cm
- Body schematic. Distance from hem to shoulder should read: 17.5, 17.75, 17.75, 18 [18.5, 19.25, 19.75, 20.25] inches; 44.5, 45, 45, 45.5 [47, 49, 50, 51.5] cm
- Taper off, line 8, should begin with s1 pw wyif, like all other WS rows.
- Continue decreasing, instructions, should tell you to work all 32 rows once.
- Decrease to the point, instructions, should tell you to work all 21 rows once.
The shift works like this: shift: slip 1 st to right needle, rm, return st to left needle, pm.
- Thistle Part 1, row 27, section C should read: k3, yo, k1, yo, k2, k2tog, k1-yo-k1 in same st, k2
- Thistle Part 2, row 3, section C should read: k2, yo, k5, k1-yo-k1 in the same st, k2
- Thistle Part 2, row 5, section A should read: K2, k1-yo-k1 in same st, k2, ssk,
- Thistle Part 2, row 47, section C should read: yo, k1, k1-yo-k1 in same st, k2
October 16, 2007. Corrected decreases for fitted cuff.
January 24, 2008. Fixed missing symbol in first chart.
It was pointed out to me this morning that there’s an error in the written stitch instructions. On looking into it further, I found a few more. Eek. The charts are all fine. My lack of skill with written instructions bites me again. Here are the fixes, organized by section, then row number. The corrected information is bold.
- Large stars
- 1. K2, yo, k2tog, (k1, yo, ssk, k5, k2tog, yo, k2)…
- 17. The very end of the line… 3 times, ssk, yo, k2.
- Tiny stars
- 3. K2, yo, k2tog, (yo, s2-k1-p2sso, yo, k1) twice…
- 5. K2, yo, k3tog, yo, k1…
- 1. Approaching the end of the line, there is an extra YO in the original instructions between the “s2-k1-p2sso” and the “(… s2-k1-p2sso, (yo, ssk) 3 times, yo, k2tog.”
- 3. Same thing here, plus a couple more things, get the change in the number of repeats, add a yo before the bead… s2-k1-p2sso, (yo, ssk) twice, yo, bead, yo, k2tog.
March 5, 2011. This schematic is provided in patterns printed after this date to show the knitting direction.
April 2, 2012. Even rows in the written stitch instructions on pages 2 and 3 should read: “K2, purl to 2 sts before end, k2.” The charted stitch instructions are fine.
April 24, 2012. Page 4, Option 1, third sentence should start, “Cable cast on 2 sts, k2…”
February 12, 2008: Fixed references to charts A and B on pages 8 and 9. There is only 1 chart on each of those pages.
May 5, 2008. A small chart error was found by Alexandra. If you purchased the pdf on Ravelry, you should be able to download the new copy. If you have trouble with this or purchased the pattern elsewhere, send me your email address, and I’ll send that page to you. The error is on the Lacy Lattice chart on page 4. Line 7 should read (the bold part is the change): (K2, yo) twice, s1, k2tog, psso, yo, k3, yo, s1, k2tog, psso; repeat from until 11 sts remain, then: yo, k3, yo, ssk, yo, k4, yo, K1, ssk with shawl edge.
July 18, 2011. Correcting a remaining artifact from when the pattern was nine pages long. Last page, Fancy Leaf Edging, Corner and Beyond, there are three spots that need fixing:
- First paragraph should begin: “Attach row 24 of above chart…”
- The second to the last paragraph, first part of the sentence should read, “…rows 9 through 30 of the Right of Center chart…”
- The second to the last paragraph, second part of the first sentence should read, “knit the 30-row Right of Center chart 8 times…”
The second part is an error correction. Lines 2 and 3 of the gusset setup row should be as follows. Corrections are bold.
PU and K13 [K16] along edge, PM.
PU and K3 [K0] along edge, K1 [K5]…
- The chart from the heel flap is missing a diagonal line. On the first line, about midway through, there’s a space that’s two stitches wide. That needs to have a diagonal line in it going from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. It should match the key just below it.
- Immediately under the chart for the heel flap there’s a line that says, “End by working row 1 one more time.” Delete that line. Don’t knit it, either. When you finish knitting the chart repeats above, you’re ready to begin turning the heel.
September 22, 2009. Instep chart, row 15 stitch 11 should be a “b” instead of blank. Thank you, Kathryn, for telling me about this oversight.
- Page 2, center column, first paragraph. Work next RS row as follows: k1, Hem lace (insert number of times here) times, k2 becomes: Beg with next RS row, work all 28 rows of Hem lace once as follows: k1, lace panel (insert number of times here) times, k2… Switch to Main lace, then work all 28 rows as est…
- Page 3, center column, second paragraph under Increase to Armhole. Because of spacing issues, the second paragraph is now pushed up, making the first paragraph extra long. As with the body portion: Work next RS row as follows: k1, Hem lace (insert number of times here) times, k2. Work as est in Main lace for the rest of the sleeve becomes: Beg with next RS row, work all 28 rows of Hem lace once as follows: k1, lace panel (insert number of times here) times, k2… Switch to Main lace for the rest of the sleeve..
If you don’t want to download the thing again for one word, or if you purchased a printed copy, you can find the erroneous “purl” in the second paragraph under Back, Waist: knit to marker, sm, m1R, knit to marker, m1L, sm, knit to end.
July 6, 2010. Pattern instructions should read: Work pattern stitch rows 1 to 18 ten times…
Errors to The Sanguine Gryphon version
The Sanguine Gryphon has emailed the updated pattern pdf to people who purchased Lalique before May 16, 2011. If you purchased a printed pattern, or have not received your updated pdf, please contact the Sanguine Gryphon for a replacement. All errors should be corrected in the revised pattern, except the following:
July 16, 2011. There is an error to the chart key for the “V” symbol affecting the Edging Stitch chart. There should actually be an additional symbol meaning, “slip stitch as if to purl, holding yarn in back.” The original instruction for this symbol, “slip stitch as if to purl, holding yarn in front,” works for the neckline.
Errors to the Fiber Dreams version
May 4, 2012. Page 2, Gauge Swatch: the correct number of stitches to cast on for the swatch is 55.
This is not an error, but because of the font used may look like one: the written instructions for the Edging Stitch and the Neckline Stitch both use a symbol, “sl” meaning “slip.” So, in the pattern where it says “sl1” it means “s1” or slip 1 stitch.
All provisional cast ons should be worked with a smooth waste yarn.
The edging and neckline are applied borders, and so are worked at a 90° angle to the rest of the knitting.
August 15, 2013. End of page 3, Finishing, between second and third paragraphs add the following: Sew pockets to inside of each front.
If you’re still having trouble getting your head around this send me email. I have something that will hopefully help. It’s helped other people. I will probably ask you something to prove that you already have the pattern. You’ll need to have the pattern in front of you to answer the question. ;-)
- Page 2. Both chart and written stitch instructions, row 5 should read: S1, k1, kfb, k3.
- Page 3. Work all 12 rows Main lace 17 [21, 25, 29] times&hellip
- Page 4. Once the border is all done, this many sts are on the needle: 205 [245, 285, 325].
March 19, 2014. This time a *chart* is the culprit. Sigh. Page 3, line 17, about 1/3 of the way across there are two “\” in a row. That should read “\O” instead. The written stitch instructions are fine.
March 27, 2014. Again with page 3. This time the written stitch instructions for lines 3 and 7 are faulty, but the chart is correct. Line 3 should read: S1, k1, yo, k2tog, 3/3LC, k1, yo twice, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k2, yo, k2. Line 7 should read: S1, k1, yo, k2tog, k7, yo, k1, (yo, k2tog) twice, k1, yo, ssk, k1, yo, k2.
April 14, 2014. I had my TE go over everything again, with special emphasis on the written stitch instructions matching the charts. She found one more thing. With luck, this is the end of it. Fingers crossed. Page 5, row 19 should read: S1, k1, yo, k2tog, k6, ssk, yo, k2, yo, k2tog, k1, yo, k2.
August 6, 2010. Sometimes I think that looking at a pattern hundreds of times can be detrimental. It certainly was in this case. A part of the chart on pages 3, 4, and 5, which was originally included was dropped, and I never saw it (and I wasn’t the only one). Because of the timing, the written instructions for that part are also missing. If knit by the spirit of the thing, rather than the letter of it, you shouldn’t have any trouble at all with the way the pattern was originally published. I know it’s been knit without problem. However, if you need to follow the letter of the thing, and who could blame you, then please download the corrected pages. If you purchased your pattern at Patternfish, as of this date the download is correct. If you purchased it before this date, please go get the updated file. Naturally I did this with a popular pattern. Of course. How could it be otherwise? Please accept my humble apologies.
October 8, 2010. An artifact left over from changing around how the written stitch instructions were laid out. On page 2, the written instructions for charts A and B, line 9 should start: K2, yo, knit to marker, sm, k1…
March 4, 2011. That I copied and pasted the written instructions from one section to another is obvious with this recent catch by Debbie. The Leaf chart, row 9, in the Widening, Straightaway, Narrowing, and Final Point sections should read as follows, where the bit in bold is the correction: K2, yo, ssk, k7, k2tog, yo, k1.
April 20, 2011. Page 6, written instructions for charts A through C, line 3 should begin: Knit to marker, sm, k2, yo…
July 18, 2011.Page 2, Starting, Chart B, row 10, and corresponding section of the written instructions. This section of the row should have 12 sts: … sm, k1, p9, k2, sm… Also, the written instructions on pages 3, 4, and 5 for Border 1, row 7 should read: K3tog, YO twice, ssk.
September 14, 2011. The following lines in the written instructions should all read: K1, bind off 3 sts, k3.
- Page 2, Starting, Border, row 8.
- Page 3, Widening, Border 1, row 2, and Border 2, row 4.
- Page 4, The Straightaway, row 2, and Border 2, row 4.
- Page 5, Narrowing, row 2, and Border 2, row 4.
- Page 6, The Final Point, Border, row 4.
Also, there was a formatting issue with the chart for Border 1, row 2, in Widening, The Straightaway, and Narrowing—the wide cell should match its brethren: BO 3 sts kw.
February 24, 2014. Corrections for the updated pattern. My TE and I missed the following (sigh). Changes to be made to both charts and written stitch instructions.
- Starting, row 3 should read: K5, (yo, k1) twice, sm, k7.
- Starting, row 4 should read: BO 3, k3, p6, k3.
- The Final Point, row 17 should read: K2, yo, ssk, (s1-k2tog-psso, yo) twice, k2tog twice, yo twice, ssk.
March 6, 2014. Corrections for the updated pattern. My TE and I went back through this pattern with a fine-toothed comb. Again. Most of the errors are with the written stitch instructions. If you know me, you shouldn’t be surprised by this. There is, however, a remaining chart error (see below), and a fix to the talk-talk on the last page. I really hope we got the rest of it with this batch. Truly. I sometimes hate this design.
- Starting, rows 1 through 5 should include where to slip markers on either side of the leaf.
- Widening, row 11 should read: … k3, yo, ssk, k5, sm, k2tog, yo, k2, sm…
- Straightaway, row 9 should begin: Knit to marker, sm, k2,, yo…
- Narrowing, row 11 should read: … sm, k3, yo, ssk, k5, k2tog, yo, k2, sm…
- Final point, instructions say to remove all stitch markers, then to slip them between charts. Huh. Just take them out, then work the sections of the charts as follows: Edge, Leaf, Border.
- Final point, chart row 11, Leaf, should begin k1, , ssk, yo, ssk…
- Final point, chart row 12, Leaf and Edge, should be: k2, p7, k8.
- Final point, row 2 should read: K1, 2-into-5, k4, p5, k12.
- Final point, even rows 4 through 12 should end by knitting to the end, and so from the far side of the leaf to the end by knitting this many stitches, respectively: 11, 9, 8, 8, 8.
- Final point, row 11 should begin: K6, ssk, yo, ssk…
There are no problems with the Fiber Dreams version of the pattern that I know of. Fingers crossed.
March 20, 2017. It came to my attention that there were errors in this pattern. Some strange things were going on, and I really couldn’t imagine that all that would have slipped by not one but the two tech editors that looked the thing over in the first place. Oh. I see. Yes, well, it seems that back in September 2015 when I made those changes to the pattern, I shouldn’t have. All the oddities are magically fixed if you go back to version 1.0 of the pattern. If you have v1.1, then see above, and undo those changes, and everything should be fine. If you have v1.0, then you’re good as gold. Gads. Sincere apologies for any confusion I may have caused you.